There are many myths and fake news spreading about coronavirus. People should not trust or forward such messages. We should only forward and follow information and guidelines from public health departments, WHO and such authorised agencies. Sharing Coronavirus Myth Busters | COVID-19 Advice For The Public found on World Health Organisation.
Coronavirus Myth Busters – World Health Organisation
1. COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climatesCOVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates – WHO Click To Tweet
2. Cold weather and snow CANNOT kill the new coronavirusCold weather and snow CANNOT kill the new coronavirus – WHO Click To Tweet
3. Taking a hot bath does not prevent the new coronavirus diseaseTaking a hot bath does not prevent the new coronavirus disease – WHO Click To Tweet
4. Coronavirus CANNOT be transmitted through mosquito bitesCoronavirus CANNOT be transmitted through mosquito bites – WHO Click To Tweet
5. Are hand dryers effective in killing the new coronavirus?To protect yourself against the new coronavirus, you should frequently clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. – WHO Click To Tweet
6. Can an ultraviolet disinfection lamp kill the new coronavirus?UV lamps should not be used to sterilize hands or other areas of skin as UV radiation can cause skin irritation. – WHO Click To Tweet
7. How effective are thermal scanners in detecting people infected with the new coronavirus?Thermal scanners are effective in detecting people who have developed a fever (i.e. have a higher than normal body temperature) because of infection with the new coronavirus. – WHO Click To Tweet
8. Can spraying alcohol or chlorine all over your body kill the new coronavirus?Spraying alcohol or chlorine all over your body will not kill viruses that have already entered your body. – WHO Click To Tweet
9. Do vaccines against pneumonia protect you against the new coronavirus?Vaccines against pneumonia, such as pneumococcal vaccine and Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib) vaccine, do not provide protection against the new coronavirus. – WHO Click To Tweet
10. Can regularly rinsing your nose with saline help prevent infection with the new coronavirus?There is no evidence that regularly rinsing the nose with saline has protected people from infection with the new coronavirus. – WHO Click To Tweet
11. Can eating garlic help prevent infection with the new coronavirus?There is no evidence from the current outbreak that eating garlic has protected people from the new coronavirus. – WHO Click To Tweet
12. Does the new coronavirus affect older people, or are younger people also susceptible?Older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus. – WHO Click To Tweet
13. Are antibiotics effective in preventing and treating the new coronavirus?If you are hospitalized for the 2019-nCoV, you may receive antibiotics because bacterial co-infection is possible. – WHO Click To Tweet
14. Are there any specific medicines to prevent or treat the new coronavirus?Those infected with the virus should receive appropriate care to relieve and treat symptoms, and those with severe illness should receive optimized supportive care. – WHO Click To Tweet
Source: World Health Organisation
Don’t get panic or spread fake messages. Share the post on your network and help others to read and realise the facts about coronavirus myths.
- Coronavirus Basic Protective Measures – WHO – COVID19
- Covid-19 Coping With Stress During The 2019-nCoV Outbreak
I am Mathukutty P. V., a proud Indian, Blogger, YouTuber. I started Simply Life Tips, made in India with love, to share useful things with the world. I believe, 'Sharing is Caring! Learning never ends!'.