Do you have healthy relationships with your parents? Problems between parents and their children are common. Many a time, children find it difficult to have healthy relationships with their parents and grandparents owing to the generation gap. It is not their fault because the culture and living style do not match.
“I think my mother is my biggest influence. There are so many things I hate about her but at the same time, I’m thankful for her. All I know is that when I’m a parent I want to be just like my mom. I can talk to my mom more than any of my friends could talk to their parents.” Nikki Reed
Healthy Relationships With Parents
Some children are more educated than their parents, but some children do not understand the sacrifice and hard work their parents have done to make them highly educated.
They could not enjoy their life as per their wish, could not have entertainment due to lack of money because they spent their earnings for a lifetime on the upbringing of their children.
“I have learned so many things from my mother about the right upbringing, the right values, value for money, value for elders, for family members. I think these things only a parent can teach you.” Karisma Kapoor
Some parents become sad because they feel that their children do not listen to them or do not give proper value to their suggestions.
Parents do not understand the realities of the new technology world, culture and the status their children have to keep up according to their qualification and job.
“There are moments of opportunity for families; moments they need to put technology away. These include: no phones or texting during meals. No phones or texting when parents pick up children at school – a child is looking to make eye contact with a parent!” Sherry Turkle
If you do not have a good relationship with your parents but want to improve it, there are a number of steps that can be taken to make that happen.
18 Tips for healthy relationships with parents
Don’t miss to watch this video. This animated video is really good and explains many things which are happening in your daily life. Some points are emotional and will help you make decisions to avoid such incidents in your life.
We never know the love of a parent till we become parents ourselves. Henry Ward Beecher Click To Tweet
Here are a few tips:
- Develop your own identity.
- Smile at your parents, keep calm, listen to them and avoid unnecessary arguments.
- If you are staying away from home, make a positive phone call to parents as often as possible
- Always lead with the good news to make them happy.
- Remember that your words filled with criticism or anger will hurt them although they may not express it openly. They may have many tensions and health problems due to their old age and your such words will affect their physical and mental health. Always make them happy, that is the best reward you can give to them.
- Talk to your parents as friends, be open and honest, tell them your problems and let them know how they can help you.
- Express your appreciation and thank them for everything they have done for you.
Remember that probably you may not be able to change your parents much. But you can keep up a positive relationship with your parents. Be patient as you continue improving your relationship!
Handpicked articles for further reading
- It is the duty of the children to take care of their ageing parents
- Sharing Problems With Family Is Important For Happiness
- Awesome Tips To Become A Better Parent
Related article in wikiHow
Do you have healthy relationships with your parents?
Have you experienced anything like in the video in your life?
Feel free to share your views in the comment box below.
“Sharing is Caring!” Don’t forget to share the post on your network.
The man behind Simply Life Tips. YouTube Partner. Always eager to learn new things.
Passions – Reading, Blogging, Creating videos. Believe “Sharing is Caring!