Do you know what is overparenting and how it affects the future of your children? You may say you are not overparenting, but doing your duty as a parent only. Every parent says the same thing only. Continue reading to find whether you are overparenting or not.
What Is Overparenting?
Over means something beyond required, so overparenting is parenting more than needed or required for a child, considering age, stage of life, specific personality traits. Some parents keep restrictions on children on
As a parent how do you realise when you cross the line and start overparenting, and over-controlling your child’s life?
Are You Overparenting?
This is a checklist to find whether you are overparenting or not.
- Do homework for the child.
- Feel sad and criticise the child for bad grades and failures.
- Argue with the teacher about grades.
- Anxiety and depression over little things concerned to children.
- Often try to prevent the child from making mistakes.
- Do not let the child make his own choices.
- Worry about many normal issues other parents don’t worry about.
- Do not identify age-appropriate expectations.
- Praise your child profusely.
- Offer too many rewards.
- Do not give your child responsibilities.
Overparenting – Common problems kids may face
- Lack of knowledge about personal strengths and weakness.
- Poor levels of decision making, planning and organising.
- Fear from taking risks in life and failures.
- Low motivation levels to take responsibilities.
- Lack of self-advocacy skills.
- Prone to anxiety and depression.
How to raise successful kids without overparenting?
Do you know how to raise a successful kid without overparenting? Make sure your kids understand that life isn’t about high grades, status or financial stability. Help them grow up compassionate, happy and making others happy.
A balanced regimen of academics, self-discovery and social integration leads to optimal success in life. There’s no other way to get what you want in life except force yourself to go and do what you have to do.
Infographic – Helicopter Parenting and Its Long-Lasting Effects
The best thing parents can do for their kids is to educate, support, and empower to make the best decisions for themselves. As a parent, realise and acknowledge your own failures and don’t live through your child.
Overparenting and unnecessary controlling lead children finding lesser opportunities to become self-confident to take decisions and face challenges on their own.
Technology changing human life day by day, but a child’s need for parents’ time, attention, love and trust remains the same. Good parenting makes childhood an eventful and happy preparation for a successful life, but overparenting makes it harmful for the future of the child.
- Are you overparenting your children?
Recommended for further reading
- Awesome Tips To Become A Better Parent
- How To Avoid Teaching Children Bad Lessons
- Teenage Addictions | How To Deal With Your Children
Please recommend and share this post to help others find it! You can easily share by clicking on share buttons. Remember“Sharing is Caring!”
Feel free to leave your thoughts below.
Mathukutty P. V. is the founder of Simply Life Tips, a passionate Blogger, Content writer, Influencer, YouTuber. Lives with a notion “SIMPLE LIVING, CREATIVE THINKING”. Believe – “Sharing is caring.” “Learning never ends.”